Let’s be honest.
We all know what it takes to be in good shape
- Exercise daily
- Eat healthy, nutritious food
- Stay hydrated
- Reduce your stress
- Get 8 hours of sleep
- Quit smoking, Quit McDonalds, Quit drinking gallons of Coke, etc….
And for some lucky people, working out and living a healthy lifestyle come naturally. They Just Do It™
However, for the rest of us, the effort required to “get into shape” takes too much…..effort.
- It costs too much
- It’s too hard
- I don’t know what to do
- Fitness people are jerks
- People will look at me
- People won’t look at me
- I’m too fat
- I don’t want to get all sweaty
- I don’t have enough time
- and it’s still too hard
So, we give up, give in and get out of shape. If that sounds like you or someone you care about, read on and find out:
- Why we do what we do,
- Why we don’t do what we should,
- And how you can re-program yourself to actually enjoy exercise.
The Best Fitness Tip you are ever going to get
Your biggest impediment to getting in shape isn’t a lack of money or knowledge or natural ability.
- It’s your emotions.
- It’s the beliefs you hold that exercise is too hard and diets don’t work and you have fat DNA.
And I am here to tell you that until you change these beliefs and the emotions that come with them, you will never, ever get in shape.
In fact, every single day, I work with people who are desperate to get in shape…but they don’t believe they can.
But, lucky for them, I do believe. I believe because I have seen it happen over and over again. So, I lend them my confidence and my emotions.
True, I work them hard and I yell at them for breaking their diet. But, I always make them understand that they can get in shape and that I am going to make it happen. And like magic, when they start to believe, they start to improve.
For some people, it’s right away. For others, it takes a few weeks.
But eventually, my beliefs and emotions become their beliefs and emotions. And it’s those emotions and belief in themselves that drives the improvement in fitness.
And if you don’t think that emotion influences performance, ask this guy…
But, let’s say you don’t have access to a charging bull or don’t want to pay for the airline ticket to fly me to your home town.
What do you do?
You need to make 3 Decisions
- What are you going to focus on?
- What does getting in shape mean to you?
- What actions are you going to take?
- Are you going to focus on your past failures? – NO
- Or, are you going to focus on your fantastically fit future self? – YES
What you focus on creates emotions. We want/need positive emotions
- What does living a healthy life mean to you?
- Does it MEAN fatigue/pain/sweat/expense/pain/lack of confidence/pain??? – NO
- Or, does it mean feeling great, looking great and actually being great? – YES
- Is it a punishment or is it a reward?
Meaning creates emotions. We want/need positive emotions.
- Your emotions WILL control your actions…positive emotions = positive actions
- And, when you are ready to take positive action, you will find that there are more than enough resources available to transform your body from fat to fit.
- But, of course, you should start by looking through the Health Habits archives.
And, if you need more help with creating these positive emotions, you can start by watching this TED talk by Tony Robbins.
See, I told you there were lots of resources available.
And, before anyone starts thinking that they don’t need that Tony Robbins motivational crap, keep in mind that there are a whole bunch of big brains hanging on Robbins’ every word…including Al Gore. So, don’t go getting all cynical on me now.
Like this article???
If you like this article, don’t forget to subscribe to @healthhabits. When you subscribe, my friends at MailChimp will make sure to send you an email every time I post something new here at the blog.
As well, you also get access to the series of Supplement Reports that I am publishing this year.