On page 1 of this post, I introduced you to the idea that your hormones are responsible for your personal fat-distribution patterns.
For example, women with an excessive percentage of fat on the back of their arms are likely to have elevated insulin levels or low DHEA levels.
And men unlucky enough to be lugging around a generous set of man-boobs are likely to have high levels of estrogen (often combined with high insulin and low testosterone)
Now, we’re going to take a long, hard look at how we are going to get those hormones back in balance. And we’re going to start with the most common hormonal imbalance…insulin.
Fat Storage Areas
- Love Handles
- Love Handles
- Eating too much over-processed, nutrient deficient carbohydrates – fast food, frozen dinners, pop, fruit drinks, sugary foods, processed diet foods…you know. Crap.
- Eating too little protein – real protein, not processed McNugget protein
- Eating too little fat – real fat, not trans-fat
- Not enough fiber in your diet – no need for supplements, you should get enough protein from fruit & veg
- Unmanaged high levels of chronic stress
- Not enough exercise
- Excessive exercise to the point of muscle wasting
- Steroid based medications
- Poor liver function
- Environmental toxins
- Poor sleep patterns
- Aging – sorry about that one
- Diet – Sugar/Insulin control diet – Paleo/Atkins/Medierranean
- Botanical – Cinnamon, Chromium – talk to your naturopath
- Increase consumption of fiber
- Increase consumption of fish oils
- Weight loss
- Reduce exposure to toxins & improve liver function – talk to your naturopath
- Get your hormone levels checked
Next Page – Testosterone