According to a new study, just a single bad night’s sleep will make you hungry and cause you to overeat.
- 12 men were placed in one of two groups
- Group #1 was allowed to get 8 hours of sleep (midnight to 8:00 am) while
- Group #2 was limited to 4 hours of sack time (2:00 am to 6:00 am)
The following day, researchers measured:
- Food consumption (participants were allowed to eat as much as they wanted of the following foods – jam on buttered toast for breakfast, buffet for lunch, and a free menu for dinner)
- Physical activity
- Feelings of hunger
- Perceived pleasantness of food
- Desire to eat some foods (cravings)
The 4-hour group…
- Consumed between 560-617 more calories than the 8-hour group
- Was hungrier than the 8-hour group.
- Had higher levels of ghrelin
- Had lower levels of leptin
And that’s after just one night of sleep deprivation.
What’s going to happen after one month..or one year?
Turn off the tv and go to bed already.