Resveratrol is currently being studied for its effect on increasing lifespan, preventing cancer, preventing diabetes, preventing inflammation, improving cardiovascular function, protecting the environment and guaranteeing world peace. (not sure about the last two)
As if that wasn’t enough, this phytoalexin is also being touted as a potent weight loss agent.
Back in 2008, I wrote about the research being done by the researchers at Sirtis. At that point, the research was pretty much theoretical. Exciting, but a long way away from showing up at your pharmacy/health food store.
However, less than 2 years later, researchers have found that a 4 week program of resveraltrol supplementation (in doses of 200mg/kg/day) was able to increase satiety, decrease caloric intake by 13% and increase resting metabolism by 29%.
True, this research was conducted on lemurs…and the doses tested would require a 200 lb man to swallow 18,000 mg or 90 x 200mg capsules per day…at a cost of approximately $60 per day….but at least they’re getting closer.
Who knows, in another 2 years, they could have a product ready for the shelves that doesn’t require a second mortgage.
If you like what you see here, click here for updates
- Childhood Obesity: A Cruel Kindness
- Weight Loss…Weight Gain…Weight Loss…
- Spoiler Alert – Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution is a “short-term” failure
- Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution
- Jamie Oliver v.s. America’s Childhood Obesity Epidemic
- Can Video Games Reverse Childhood Obesity?
- A BAN on Fast Food TV Advertising Would Reverse Childhood Obesity …
- A Spark of Hope in the Fight against Childhood Obesity | Health Habits
- America’s Obesity Epidemic costs $147 billion
- How the Free Market makes you FAT and why “Big Food” likes it that way
- Obesity Drugs v.s Health Habits