Back in the day, your ancestors used to eat…
- Meat -i.e beef, pork, chicken, fish, seafood, etc…
- Nuts & Seeds
- Seed Oils
Today, in addition to deep fried pizza, we eat oodles of:
- Processed meat
- Processed vegetables…mostly deep fried potatoes of some variety
- Processed fruit – mostly juice
- Processed seed oil
- Processed grains
- Processed corn
- Processed sugar
- Next to no fiber
- Next to no enzymes
- and gallons and gallons of sugary soda
The result: An increasingly unhealthy & overweight population that would get it’s collective butt kicked by our ultra-fit Paleo ancestors.
And, according to the latest research, one of the worst aspects of our modern diet is our imbalance of Omega 6 fatty acids to Omega 3 fatty acids.
Omega 6 Fatty Acids ….and the Genetic Obesity Timebomb
In this study, the researchers exposed several generations of male and female adult and young mice to a modern “Western” style diet high in Omega 6 and low in Omega 3 fatty acids, and then assessed the consequences of such a lipid environment in the human diet.
The test diet had an Omega 6 : Omega 3 ratio of 28:1.
With no other restrictions, the mice were allowed to go about their business. And four generations later, with no additional interference from the researchers, the great-great grandmice were compared to their ancestors.
And the comparison didn’t go well.
- the researchers saw a gradual increase in fat mass over the four generations
- they also observed the onset of insulin resistance….
- the expression of inflammatory genes associated with obesity, and….
- the development of type 2 diabetes.
In a genetically stable population, exposure to a “Western” diet (high in Omega 6 : low in Omega 3) results in the emergence of transgenerational obesity, insulin resistance, systemic inflammation and a higher likelihood of becoming diabetes.
- Optimize your Omega 6 : Omega 3 ratio by going Paleo
- Try to offset those deep fried pizzas with bottles of Omega 3 fish oils.
- Change nothing and sentence your kids to a future like the humans in Wall-E