Last week, one of my clients told me that he had “pretty much” stuck to his “diet” except for that one day at the office when one of his employees brought in a tray of homemade cookies…and he had been having a really stressful day…and he didn’t want to insult her….and he was starving….and he needed to eat that cookie.
NEEDED to EAT that COOKIE
- Didn’t want to eat that cookie
- Didn’t choose to eat that cookie
- Didn’t make the conscious decision to eat that cookie
He needed to eat that cookie.
I had to call bullshit on that.
- He wanted to eat that cookie. So, he ate it.
- And then he lied to himself about why he ate the damn cookie.
- And then he lied to me about why he ate the damn cookie.
This is a 50-something year old, very, very successful businessman. If I told you his name, most of you would recognize it. Not exactly the kind of person who had to eat a cookie. And he knows that.
He knows that he didn’t need to eat a bunch of cookies.
- He needs to breathe oxygen
- He needs to drink water
- He needs to eat food
- He needs to move his body
But he doesn’t need to eat cookies. He wants to eat cookies.
And that’s okay. He’s a grown man who is busting his ass to regain his health & fitness. Even during his transformation from fat to fit, an occasional cookie isn’t the end of the world.
Perfection isn’t required.
Eat the damn cookie. But eat it because you want to eat it.