In contrast, the average 12-19 year old Torontonian spends 2.75 hours in front of a computer or tv screen.
And it’s not just Toronto.
This U.S. research shows that 20% of Americans between the ages of 24 and 32 have high blood pressure.
We (the grown-ups) are turning our kids into unhealthy little butterballs.
- We’ve cancelled P.E. classes in public schools
- We can’t find teachers or volunteers to help coach sport teams
- We drive our kids to school instead of letting them walk
- We’re afraid to let them out to play after school
- We feed them processed food instead of making something from scratch
- We buy them X-Boxes instead of basketballs
So, what are you going to do about it?
- Take away the video games?
- Make a real meal for dinner tonight?
- Sit down and eat with your kids at the dinner table?
- Contact a group like Kaboom and help re-claim a playground for your kids?
- Ask for guidance from groups like Get Active Toronto?
- Pester your local politicians for help?
- Ask your neighbors to pester your local politician?
- Let your kid walk to school?
- Shoot hoops with your kid after work?
- Go for a walk with your kid?
- Watch your kids get sick?
- Watch our healthcare costs go through the roof?