Researchers from Uppsala University have found that rewarding substances like alcohol, cocaine and foods rich in sugar are able to “kidnap” the reward center of your brain, resulting in:
- Immediate feelings of pleasure
- Impaired co-signalling of your glutamate and dopamine nerve cells
- Improved memory of environments that could be associated with the ingestion of reward substances
- Hypersensitivity to reward substances
- Increased ingestion of reward substances
- Addiction to reward substances
And we all know what happens when a person is addicted to donuts, don’t we?