…because they think education is the answer.
And while I am a big fan of education, I am pretty sure that the majority of us know that:
- Exercise is healthier than watching tv
- Vegetables are healthier than pizza
- Meditation is healthier than obsessing over that idiot who cut you off in traffic
- Drinking a glass of wine with dinner is healthier than downing a bottle by yourself
- Socializing with friends is healthier than being a loner
- Stretching tight muscles is healthier than sitting all night after sitting all day at work
We already know this stuff…..and yet, we eat junk food, watch too much tv and barely get any exercise.
EDUCATION IS NOT ENOUGH
Education by itself didn’t reduce the number of smokers.
It took education + higher taxes + municipal bylaws restricting public smoking + a whole lot of shaming from non-smokers who finally felt empowered enough to tell someone to butt out.
And if we want to reduce the healthcare costs attributable to poor lifestyle choices – obesity, diabetes, heart disease, alzheimers, cancer, etc…. we need to do more than education.