What is your typical day like?
- Relaxed, fulfilling and full of moments where you nourish your body, mind & spirit
- Stressed, fast paced, hectic and hurried
If you said #1…congratulations…and stop reading
If you said #2…you really, really need to take the next 60 seconds and learn about micro workouts.
What are Micro Workouts?
- short bursts of fairly intense exercise…lasting between 30-120 seconds.
What can Micro Workouts do for ME?
- Micro workouts can give you the mood-improving effects outlined in the articles referenced below.
But I already go to the gym three times per week
- That’s great, but what happens when the mood-improving effect of yesterday’s workout wears off? Micro workouts take very little time and provides mood-boosting results immediately….when you need them.
What do I do?
- Micro workouts are short in duration – 30-120 seconds
- Micro workouts are fairly high in intensity
- Micro workouts require lots of muscle to be involved – no bicep curls
- Jumping Jacks (fast paced) for 30 seconds…rest 30 seconds…Jumping Jacks for 30 seconds…rest 30 seconds
- Bodyweight squats for 60 seconds
- Push-Ups for 20 seconds…rest 20 seconds…push-ups 20 seconds….
- Racing up a flight of stairs…rest…race up another flight..rest….
We’re not trying to get a “real” workout here…we’re just trying to break up your stressed out thought patterns with a burst of physical activity and activate your natural mood-boosting hormone production
While this technique has been used with a number of different mood disorders, you should probably consider talking to a mental health professional if you’re having problems coping with this crazy world we live on.
- An Exercise Prescription to Cure Depression
- Exercise Your Depression Away
- Young Men Can Treat Their Depression With Exercise
- Movement for Mood: Exercise as a Treatment for Depression
- Exercise vs. Depression–Which One Wins?–Fight 1
Like this article???
If you like this article, don’t forget to subscribe to @healthhabits. When you subscribe, my friends at MailChimp will make sure to send you an email every time I post something new here at the blog.
As well, you also get access to the series of Supplement Reports that I am publishing this year.