Pulitzer prize winning journalist Michael Moss spent four years researching the scientific research that goes into each bag, box or bottle of processed / junk food.
And what he found, should freak you out.
Teams of scientists spending millions of dollars researching bliss points and maximum bite force and sensory specific satiety…all with the aim of keeping you eating ‘food’ that is high in calories, sugar, salt & fat and virtually devoid of actual nutrition.
And they are very, very good at it.
- They are very, very good at their jobs.
- Their lobbyists are good at influencing politicians
- Government heavily subsidizes their industry
- They spend billions on marketing to both adults & children
- And most of us are equal parts lazy and uneducated about nutrition
…the sales of ‘real food’ continue to drop while the sales of ‘processed food’ continue to rise.
Also rising are….
- The rate of childhood and adult obesity
- The rate of type 2 diabetes
- The rate of heart disease
- The rate of obesity-related cancers
- The rate of Alzheimers
- Healthcare costs associated with these conditions
Something to think about the next time you go to the supermarket.
You really should buy Salt Sugar Fat. Or at least take it out from the library
- Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us – you NEED to buy this book
- Salt Sugar Fat – Twitter acct
- CBC article
- Addicted to Salt
- Is Sugar Addictive?
- The Link between Dopamine and your Unfortunate Addiction to Ice Cream
- Does Big Food Need To Be Regulated?
- Why is America so Fat??? – In Utero Big Macs
- Childhood Obesity, Junk Food Profits and the U.S. Congress
- Who are the Americans Against Food Taxes?
- British Gov’t Asks Junk Food Industry to Save Them from Obesity
- The Politics of Obesity
- This is Why America’s Kids are Fat