Recently, one of my clients asked me to assist one of her friends who:
- needed to lose weight quickly (in order to be eligible for surgery)
- was low on funds
Normally, my training clients are fairly well off, so the diets I usually recommend are loaded with fresh fruits & veg, natural (not factory farmed) meat, healthy oils and a variety of health, performance & weight-loss supplements.
For those of you that don’t know, butyrate is created as fiber is fermented in your gut. And in addition to a LOT of health benefits generated by this fiber/butyrate process, eating a high fiber/butyrate diet results in:
- A feeling of fullness
- A natural reduction in caloric consumption
- An improvement in insulin sensitivity
- Weight loss
So here’s what we did
- 297 lb female
- Exercise limitations
- No known food allergies or other food constraints
- Needs to lose weight asap to be eligible for a required surgery
- No extra income for personal training, supplements, etc
Due to her medical issue, the only exercise I could recommend is a daily walking routine (10,000+ steps) and mobility/flexibility training in the evening before bed
Overall Diet Theory
- Low cost
- High fiber & butyrate
- Boring & predictable – making meal prep simple and reducting opportunities to “accidentally” cheat
- Low time commitment – which is always a bonus
For Breakfast….EVERY day
Oatmeal Custard…..mmmmmmmm good
- Oatmeal – 1 cup dry large flakes
- Water – 2 cups
- 1 XL egg
- Peanut butter & banana – 1 tbsp PB max
- Raisins & cinnamon – 2 tbsp raisins max
- Brown sugar & vanilla – 2 tbsp sugar max
- Frozen berries – big handful
- Chocolate chips – small handful max
Mix and match toppings as your heart desires…while keeping quantities in line
For Lunch & Dinner….EVERY day
Rice & Lentil Pilaf
This recipe makes enough food for both lunch and dinner combined.
- 2 cups of dry rice, barley, quinoa, buckwheat, etc
- 1 cups of lentils (I prefer the French or Puy lentils…great taste)
- Chopped garlic, onion & spices (to your taste)
- 1-2 tbsp butter (grass-fed if possible) – added after cooking
- Ajvar sauce (or similar flavorful sauce) to taste – added after cooking
To drink throughout the day
- Water (at least 8 glasses)
- Tea and/or coffee – no sugar or dairy (herbal tea counts as 1 glass of water – coffee & tea count as 1/2 a glass of water)
- After 4 weeks, she has lost 18 lbs…from 297 to 279.
- The first week, she lost only 2 lbs. Not sure why, but after the first week, the weight loss has been consistent from week to week.
- She was a “little bit” gassy for the first two weeks, but that side-effect has resolved itself
- Similarly, her trips to the bathroom have become healthier
- Her appetite, especially at night when she is relaxing, is nothing compared to how it used to be. She has always been a late-night snacker.
- She also told me that she thinks her allergies & her skin are much improved since starting the diet.
And while we can’t quantify anything other than the weight loss, none of her observations sound unrealistic…but as a science nerd, I am still going to take them with a grain of salt.
So there you go…A Cheap and Effective Diet to Lose Weight Quickly
Like this article???
If you like this article, don’t forget to subscribe to @healthhabits. When you subscribe, my friends at MailChimp will make sure to send you an email every time I post something new here at the blog.
As well, you also get access to the series of Supplement Reports that I am publishing this year.